Saturday, August 06, 2005

Following Directions

Tips for following directions:

1. Read the directions very carefully. Look for what it doesn't tell you as well as what is specified.

2.Now you have 2 options--
a. If it isn't required or prohibited, you can do anything else you can imagine doing.
b. You _always_ have the option of choosing to modify or ignore the requirements.

I just did this for a little quilt I am making as a challenge for my art quilt group, Uncommon Threads. It is a triptych (3 panel quilt.) I decided to push the definition of "triptych" as far as I could--the definition doesn't specify size or shape of the panels. The panels are intended to be hung as a unit, but doesn't specify placement or positioning.

My quilt ended up being three sinuously curved panels that hang separately from a common rod, but their hanging points overlap and the panels intertwine and interlock.

I call it "I Lead Three Lives" because as I was ready to choose fabrics I realized (as so often happens for me) that the image I had worked on as simply a design problem had also acquired a profound meaning for me.

The three panels represent three significant areas of my life -- pastor's wife and mother, artist and teacher--often separate, but always intertwined. The fabrics I chose were a fairly traditional floral print, and gold and bronze lame, which also then acquired meaning--and no, I'll let you guess which fabric I used for each.

The mind is a remarkable thing!